Governor Northam's Executive Order 79
NEW DATES FOR LIFTING OF RESTRICTIONS
- In accordance with new CDC guidelines, Governor Northam announced on May 14, 2021 that Virginia will move forward with the lifting of COVID-19 mitigation measures on May 28, 2021.
- The State of Emergency will remain in place until June 30, 2021, in order to allow flexibility for use of face coverings in public.
- Governor Northam has expressed the intent to ensure that individuals can voluntarily wear a mask in public, after the State of Emergency has been lifted.
WHERE ARE FACE COVERS NO LONGER REQUIRED?
- The CDC has said that fully vaccinated individuals can safely go without a mask both indoors and outdoors.
- However, businesses do retain the ability to require that patrons wear masks while inside.
WHERE ARE FACE COVERINGS STILL REQUIRED
- Individuals, whether they are vaccinated or not, are still required to wear a mask when using public transit, in health care facilities, and in close congregate settings.
- Children in K-12 schools will still be required to wear masks, due to the low rate of vaccination in children.
- Employees of restaurants, fitness and personal care centers, and entertainment venues must continue to wear masks until fully vaccinated.
- Those who have not been vaccinated, or have not received both doses, are strongly encouraged to wear a mask in public settings.