Governor Northam's COVID-19 Briefing - 5/6/2021
FORWARD VIRGINIA - NEW GUIDELINES MAY 15
- We are seeing a consistent downward trend in new case numbers throughout the past several weeks.
- The 7 day moving average of cases is lower than it has been since October 2020.
- For the past two weeks, there have been less than 1,000 new cases per day.
- Statewide percent positivity is 4.4%.
- Hospitalization and death rates are also trending down, with those numbers being lower than we have seen in Virginia since October.
- In accordance with CDC guidelines, Virginia no longer requires those who are fully vaccinated to wear a mask outdoors.
- More measures will be relaxed starting on May 15. These include:
- Social gatherings can include 100 people indoors, and 250 people outdoors.
- 50% capacity (up to 1000 people) for indoor entertainment venues.
- 50% capacity, with no numerical cap, for outdoor entertainment venues.
- Restaurants can stay open later, and sell alcohol past 12:00am.
- If case numbers continue to trend downward, Governor Northam plans to lift all mitigation measures and social distancing requirements by June 15, 2021.
- Mask requirements will continue to be evaluated.
- The Governor’s state-of-emergency mask mandate is set to expire on June 30, and may need to be extended so that people may continue to voluntarily wear face coverings, due to the fact that Virginia law currently prohibits the use of masks in public.
- 33% of Virginians are fully vaccinated.
- 46% have received at least one dose.
- The federal government is expected to soon approve the Pfizer vaccine for children ages 12 and up.
- Like most states, Virginia is seeing a slight down-trend in demand for the vaccine. Governor Northam reminds Virginians that every person over the age of 16 is now eligible to be vaccinated.
- The VDH is working with schools to develop the most efficient plan to distribute vaccines to school-age children.
- Many vaccine distribution sites are now welcoming walk-ins.
- Vaccinate Virginia now has a text feature, with which people can text their zip code to Get-VAX, and receive a reply with three different vaccine distribution sites closest to them.
COVID-19 CASES, STATISTICS AND MODELING
- Total cases: 664,394
- New in the last 24 hours: 856
- Total deaths: 10,861